You might think waffles are a naturally sweet breakfast offering, but this tasty recipe includes tasty crab in the waffles with a smoked salmon topping.
- Heat your waffle maker to the instructions.
- Whisk the egg whites to form stiff peaks.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, zest of lemon, and season with salt.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the brown crab meat, egg yolks, and milk and mix thoroughly.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the mixture with a metal spoon.
- Add the white crab meat and fold through gently, careful to not beat out the air.
- Ladle the waffle mixture on to the waffle maker and cook. Continue to cook waffles until the mixture is finished.
- In a small bowl, mix together the creme fraiche, juice of lemon, and salt and pepper.
- Serve the waffles with creme fraiche, salmon, red onion, and a sprinkling of chopped chives.